Exposure to sunlight provides plenty of benefits to the body and sense of well-being. Sunlight helps the body produce vitamin D which stimulates the production of serotonin which is the “feel good” hormone and lowers the blood pressure.
Overexposure to sunlight can cause sun poisoning and it is an allergic reaction of the body to the ultraviolet or UV wavelengths in the sun. Sun poisoning is also called polymorphous light eruption or photodermatitis.
Light-skinned individuals or Caucasians are more susceptible to sun poisoning and medical conditions such as pellagra and certain medications will make the skin more sensitive to light that can cause sun poisoning.
Symptoms of sun poisoning
In just 15 minutes of exposure under the sun, it can cause sunburn and followed by discomfort and redness in a few hours. Prolonged exposure to sun, not using any protection and those who have light skin and fair hair are in a high risk of being sunburned.
Symptoms of severe sunburn or sun poisoning
- Skin redness and blistering
- Pain and tingling sensations
- Dizziness and nausea
- Chills and fever
Treatment and home remedies of sun poisoning
- Apply a cold compress in order to minimize itching, reddening and irritation of the skin caused by sunburn. Take a cool bath and cold compress using a wet cloth in order to lessen the blisters.
- Keep the body well hydrated. It helps restore to the former condition the fluids were lost during the sun burning. Drink plenty of water, milk and eat fresh fruits such as watermelon.
- Apply aloe vera gel on the sunburn. It helps lessen the sun poisoning rash and blisters as well as helps with the healing.
- Apply a cold milk compress on the affected skin. Using a piece of cloth, dab the affected area of the skin using cool milk at least for 30 minutes, rinse off the milk using cold water and apply a natural moisturizer.
- Using raw potatoes or cucumber juice is also helpful in treating sun poisoning symptoms. Extract a juice from raw potatoes or cucumber and apply it on the face and other affected areas of the body. This must be done several times every day until the symptoms are minimized.
- Make a paste using mastered powder mixed with a few drops of water. Apply the paste on the affected areas of the skin at least for 15 minutes and then wash it off after 15 minutes using cold water. If there is a burning sensation, apply aloe vera gel on the affected area.
- Mix yogurt with a few drops of water since this helps eliminate the sun poisoning rash, swelling and blisters. The paste helps in soothing the skin and also lessen the pain and for fast healing of the rashes.