Gluteus minimus strain is the stretching or tearing of the tendon or muscles of the deepest gluteal muscles. It functions for the flexing and medially rotation of the hip or bends the hip forward and rotates it in inward direction. The strain is usually caused by performing many activities and very fast.
Symptoms of gluteus minimus strain
- Pain on the outer area of the hip
- Severe pain in the buttocks
- Pain on the outer are of the thigh
- Pain behind the calf and spread to the ankle
- Numbness in the hip, buttocks and thigh and spread down to the ankle
- Pain when lying down on the affected side which is strained.
- Difficulty in walking normally and difficulty rising up from a sitting position.
- Sitting in cross leg position for a prolonged period of time.
- Walking and carrying heavy objects have a high risk of injuring or straining the gluteus minimus.
- Placing wallets at the back pocket of the pants and sitting for long periods of time.
- Inadequate posture when standing especially with the weight of the body not equally distributed in between the legs.
- Balancing a baby or heavy objects on one hip
- Limping and not using a supportive device
- Apply ice on the affected area to lessen the pain and the swelling. Ice can be in the form of an ice pack, gel pack or frozen bag of vegetable such as peas or corn.
- Massage the affected area using ice. Freeze water in a Styrofoam cup. Peel the upper part of the cup to reveal the ice. Rub the base of the cup over the area for at least 5-10 minutes, several times every day until pain disappears.
- Take the prescribed medication such as ibuprofen, naproxen and acetaminophen to lessen the pain and the inflammation.
- Apply moist heat on the affected area by soaking a clean wash cloth in hot water, wring out excess water and then place it over the area for at least 10-15 minutes before performing warm up and stretching exercises. Other alternatives of moist heat include heat patches or moist heating pad, and a wet washcloth heated in a microwave or the dryer. Taking a hot shower is also good for the condition. Avoid using heat therapy if there is swelling to prevent making the condition worse and delay the healing.
- Wear the prescribed hip support or wrap to lessen the inflammation and the swelling and for fast healing of the condition.
Disclaimer / More Information
The material posted on this page on a gluteus minimus strain is for learning purposes only. Learn to properly manage the injury by taking a first aid and CPR class with one of our training providers.